A DELICIOUS SUMMER BREAKFAST
By Rani Louise – Nutritional Therapist and Vitality Coach
A healthy, satisfying breakfast is one of the most common recommendations I give to my clients.
If you get breakfast right, then you will feel satisfied and energised for the day’s activities. And more importantly, your blood sugar will be more stable, which means there is much less likelihood of succumbing to sugar cravings and energy dips throughout the day!
So, what is a good breakfast?
Well, the key is to think about it as a proper meal – some good quality protein, plus some nutrient-dense, fibre-rich vegetables!
Here’s one delicious summer idea for you – Mushroom Omelette with Salad – that you can make fresh when you have the time, or when in a hurry, make it in advance and heat it up, or carry it with you to work to eat cold.
If you find you still have a bit of a sweet tooth, then enjoy some summer berries with natural dairy or coconut yoghurt for “dessert”!
Mushroom Omelette with Salad – serves 1
Preparation time – 15 minutes
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 4 or 5 medium size mushrooms, sliced
- 15g unsalted butter
- Sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Black pepper
- Washed mixed green salad leaves – 50 to 150g depending on your appetite!
- Gently beat the eggs with a fork or whisk, together with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat half the butter on medium heat in a frying pan until foaming.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until just starting to turn a golden colour – remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining butter and heat until foaming.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- Let the eggs bubble slightly for a few seconds, then take a wooden fork or spatula and gently draw the mixture in from the sides of the pan a few times, so it gathers in folds in the centre.
- With the pan flat on the heat, shake it back and forth a few times to settle the mixture. It should slide easily in the pan and look soft and moist on top.
- Add the mushrooms to one half of the omelette, and fold the other half over.
- Continue frying for about 30 seconds, then flip over and cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from the heat.
- Serve on a plate with your pile of salad greens.