FUSS-FREE FESTIVE FRUIT CAKE RECIPE
By Rani Louise – Nutritional Therapist and Vitality Coach
A perfect healthy substitute for Christmas cake and all the other sugary temptations around at this time of year!
- Preparation time = 20 minutes
- Cooking time = 1 hour
- Makes about 12 slices
- 250g mixed dried fruit (raisins, dates, apricots, etc) – ensure they are all free from added sugar, sulphur or other preservatives
- 3 medium eggs
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp of mixed spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, etc)
- 100g butter (softened to almost a liquid)
- 200g ground almonds
- 20g coconut flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 170°C or gas mark 5
- Grease a rectangular baking dish (11 x 21cm) with butter or line with parchment paper
- Soak dried fruit in 200ml boiling water for 10 minutes
- Whisk or beat the eggs together with the salt and mixed spices
- Drain the dried fruit and add their liquid and the butter to the egg mixture, and blend in a food processor or blender
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl
- Add the ground almonds, coconut flour and bicarb, and mix well with a large spoon
- Add the dried fruit and stir through the mixture
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared baking dish, cover with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and bake for a further 15 minutes or until a knife comes out clean from the centre.
- Cool on a wire tray and slice to serve.