RECIPE – NUTRIENT-RICH GRANOLA (grain, gluten, sugar and dairy-free)
By Rani Louise – Nutritional Therapist and Vitality Coach
If you’re keeping your breakfast low-carb and wanting to pack in the nutrients and protein, but still fancy the toasty taste of a nutty breakfast cereal, then have a go at this delicious nutrient-dense granola – it’s grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free.
The resulting mix is so rich that you can even serve it simply with some water to make it into a bowl of breakfast cereal. Or add coconut milk, almond milk, yoghurt or fresh fruit to add even more depth of taste!
- Soaking time – at least 6 hours
- Mixing ingredients – 15 minutes
- Baking – 45 minutes
- Cooling – 1 hour
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup raisins (or your favourite dried fruit)
- In a food processor, break up the almonds just until they are roughly chopped (don’t continue until they are finely ground).
- Then do the same for the cashew nuts.
- (It’s important to do the nuts separately because almonds are harder than cashews – if you mix them in the food processor, then the cashews will be ground very finely while the almonds will still be in very big chunks)
- Mix the chopped nuts in a bowl and add enough water to cover them – add a teaspoon of salt – and leave for 6 to 12 hours.
- Strain off the water and rinse the nuts a couple of times.
- Preheat the oven to 135 Centigrade.
- Gently heat the coconut oil over some boiling water (bain marie) until it is liquid – mix in the vanilla essence.
- Mix the nuts with the seeds, coconut flakes, sea salt and melted coconut oil.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Remove from the oven, mix in the raisins and press the mixture together to form a tight, flat surface.
- Allow to cool for about an hour, and then break into chunks. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Enjoy with fresh berries, almond milk, yoghurt, or coconut cream or milk.